Saturday, November 1, 2008

Broccoli Cheese Soup


From My Kitchen Cafe

1 can chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
1/3 c. flour
1/4 c. butter
Pepper to taste (*1/2 tsp?)
2 c. milk (*I used skim and it was fine..maybe a little thin, but I like it like that)
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (*supposedly the sharper the better for flavor - I used sharp cheddar)
1/2 c. shredded swiss cheese (*I questioned this because I don't like swiss, but I dutifully added it in, and I'm glad I did - I think it helped the flavor)
steamed chopped broccoli (*as much or as little as you want - I chopped and steamed about 3 cups of broccoli florets and it was a lot of broccoli. I might cut it down to 2 cups next time)

Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour and pepper. Cook together for a couple of minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken. Next add chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and steamed broccoli. Serve immediately.


(*I made this over the weekend and saved it for dinner during the week. It was great re-heated!)


Makes 3-4 servings

1 comment:

  1. yummy - I definitely recommend using sharp cheddar. I also added about 1/2 tsp of celery seed - it brings out the flavor of the broccoli and onions.

    ReplyDelete